UK Drone Bill 2018 – What you need to know in 3 minutes(ish)

🇬🇧 UK Gov announced timetable for NEW UK Drone Laws. Here’s my 3 minute 🙄 guide to whats coming our way. What’s your view? Let me know in the comments below.

Drone Bill Speech: https://ikopta.co.uk/uk-government-announce-drone-bill-timetable/

Check out ARPAS-UK: https://www.arpas.uk/what-we-do/

✍️ Sign up to the ikopta Alert for exclusive releases and Upcoming news https://ikopta.co.uk/sign-ikopta-newsletter/

Drone kit & camera stuff:

Like, Share & Subscribe.
www.ikopta.co.uk
Instagram: @ikopta
Twitter: @ikopta
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Ikopta-Ltd-1131016563579413/

🎵Music: Youtube & Audioblocks ( Free Trial https://videoblocks.go2cloud.org/SH7m )

49 Comments

1. spompeytransportvideo on September 12, 2019 at 9:13 pm

No restrictions if you are the BBC of course, just say Tony Robinson said it was OK to fly here……

2. Paul Buswell on September 12, 2019 at 9:14 pm

I have been flying model helicopters and more recently ,quadcopters for close to 25 years. Always a member of the BMFA for insurance purposes. I have many models fpv and otherwise, all built from my own choice of parts by myself. I don’t program geo fencing as a rule into my models, as I fly responsibly.( how are they going to enforce this on self built craft?) To me it seems all of this hysteria around ‘drones’ can be laid squarely on one company. DJI.. They allowed utter numptys with no flying skills at all to cause havoc in the air. Whenever I read of a so called near miss with a drone I know with a pretty high certainty that the culpit will be a DJI. I’m against compulsary registration ,but think a practical flying test ( both FPV and visual line of sight flying) is a very good idea. A lot of so called pilots cannot fly a model safely to the ground if video and GPS was lost.

3. ZAPPY !!!! on September 12, 2019 at 9:19 pm

Shit I’m only 14

4. Daz Z on September 12, 2019 at 9:21 pm

Still nothing has been passed though parliament,it’s all gone very quiet I can’t even remember the last time I saw someone fly one

5. Galaxy Stars on September 12, 2019 at 9:21 pm

Where is the place to register?

6. Andy Geary on September 12, 2019 at 9:22 pm

I have purchased the mavic 2 pro but before I start to use it I wanted to get some info on where I can and can’t use it, I live in the UK, and I’m finding it difficult to find this information so I was hoping you could maybe shed some light on a couple of questions. 1. What are the privacy laws that I have to follow so I don’t intrude on people’s privacy. 2. Can I fly over private land without permission so long as I don’t take off or land in the private land. 2.5. If the answer is yes to question 2 then does that mean I can take off from the side of the road (public road) and fly around a private building (while filming it) and then land back at my car? Thanks for making awesome videos and I eagerly await your response to these queries. I have seen some awesome stately homes that I would love to film but seeing as they are privately owned I was curious if and how I can film them, with/without permission.

7. Sorarse on September 12, 2019 at 9:22 pm

The biggest problem with this type of legislation, as with so many laws covering other pursuits, is that the irresponsible flyers out there will fail to register. Only responsible flyers are going to be hit by the fees, and overall safety isn’t going to be affected as the idiots will continue to be idiots. Also, how are they defining a drone? Any craft with 4 or more propellers? What about the aircraft guys flying multi bladed scale models? Are their aircraft now going to be defined as a drone? I don’t think they’ve really thought this through based on what you have presented here.

8. Andrew Ongais on September 12, 2019 at 9:23 pm

a 7:55 minute video that takes 3 mins?
    I’m not watching crap like this.

9. S Sanders on September 12, 2019 at 9:24 pm

Would you be able to fly the drone in your garden without a liscence

10. chris wilson on September 12, 2019 at 9:25 pm

Just another tax

11. Steve Jobs on September 12, 2019 at 9:25 pm

will i be fine if i get a holy stone hs160 then?

12. GETBUSY on September 12, 2019 at 9:27 pm

Can you build your own drone and register it then?

13. iamtotal on September 12, 2019 at 9:31 pm

The current (in line with the FAA) CAA plans to limit UNLICENSED drones to below 250g (effective Nov 19th, 2019) could be compared to DVLA selling brand new 1200 cc motorbikes for £50 on the net to teenagers and saying "No need to register, wear a helmet or do anything in the event of a crash except RUN!". FABULOUSLY stupid.

The CAA gets a FAIL from every single person in the UK who has ever or will ever use civil aviation. Not only does the incoming ruling endanger ALL UK air traffic into the future as a result of the CAA created tsunami of sub-250g cheap and nasty Chinese BNF quads (business idea there!) , the plans also effectively destroy the emerging drone hobby industry worth hundreds of millions.. Such an industry would otherwise have potentially provided, from an ocean of hobbyists – future PILOTS! (which is currently a serious problem – no new pilots!).

Instead of the current plans, it is here proposed that instead of FIGHTING the CAA (which keeps air passengers safe in the air) – a proposal is placed before them that fits a well thought out strategy. Such a strategy might look like this. All sub 750g quads in the UK MUST be run by minimum standard QUALITY blockchainable flight controllers that must be registered by their owner. All data is private and only accessible in the event of an air traffic control relevant incident.

This would allow ALL drones that ever fly in an air traffic control corridor to be identified and the owner approached for education, compliance and positive interaction… so that what happens in the video linked below does not happen. This way individual airport authorities could become aware of all (post coded) drone owner in the vicinity and organise out reach programs for awareness raising projects. If such an enlightened strategy were to be pursued, then the emerging drone industry could be safeguarded along with air safety.

Map Shows The Chaos That Ensues When You Fly A Drone Too Close To An Airport

14. Chernobyl on September 12, 2019 at 9:31 pm

Government always want to destroy people’s fun. Find it funny they will allow Amazon to fly drones etc

15. Scary Larry on September 12, 2019 at 9:32 pm

Any insight on offshore flying?
    I work in the gulf of mexico and want to get one of these but if I’ll draw attention to myself I’m not sure. I just want to film our work out here.

16. Electro Christ on September 12, 2019 at 9:32 pm

idiots want to just get more money from drone enthusiast {like the proper drones doesnt cost enough} and this stupid very expensive comercial permission… what a stupid pathetic morons rule this country…they just try to fill the gap in budget by harassing and charging decent people- I’m moving out of here!!!

17. Ike Dyson on September 12, 2019 at 9:34 pm

I am going to fly my drone down Downing Street and around the Houses of Parliament.

18. saab900t16 on September 12, 2019 at 9:35 pm

All these legislation’s have been brought because of flying dick heads. I mean, who in the right mind flies anywhere near aviation (thick as fucking shit, but they don’t give fuck a anyway). Who flies near power lines – erm dickheads. Who flies over other peoples houses – dickheads. Who flies over car dealerships – Dickheads. Who flies over towns/cities – Dickheads. DICKHEADS have ruined it for photographers, people with common sense, folk who just want a different view of a scene to be photographed or videoed, sometimes only that extra 20 or 50 feet just to make a difference to a shot, sometimes just to make a few quid taking a picture of someones big fancy house somewhere, you know – for a few pints every now and again. The same DICKHEADS who drive round with no insurance and tax and no MOT, the same DICKHEADS who fly tip, the same DICKHEADs who kick door mirrors off cars on there way home pissed and the same friendly DICKHEADS who are all lovey dovey when they are caught by the Police as if butter would not melt in there mouths. All ruined by mindless fucking moronic dickheads, spoiling the hobby for nice sensible folk like you and me.

19. chris wilson on September 12, 2019 at 9:35 pm

Dogs are more dangerous than drones. Maybe insurance and licences for dog owners as well because they have been far more incidents involving dogs

20. Andy Rees FPV on September 12, 2019 at 9:36 pm

nice video bro..subbed..you can get drone insurance on ukfpv for twenty pounds a year

21. Auld Reekie Biker on September 12, 2019 at 9:39 pm

Love it informative videos, today I received my Mavic Air, looking forward to getting it in the air.
    Before I do, is there requirement NOW to register and complete the test that you mentioned.
    I want to completely conform with any rules and regs.
    Please let me know with links if they are available yet. Thanks.

22. Tom Farrell on September 12, 2019 at 9:40 pm

Gosh you’re annoying.

23. Harrison Long on September 12, 2019 at 9:42 pm

I wanted to get into long distance uav flying, however I see that you have to be within line of sight at all times, does this still count when using onboard fpv? or are my dreams of long distance flying done for good?

24. Marcus Gerhold on September 12, 2019 at 9:45 pm

It’s all about the money, it’s always about the money.

25. Retro2futuregaming on September 12, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Hi mate thanks for the video I’ve been looking into getting a drone and which one would be best for me. But after hearing this am not sure if it’s worth the hassle. Am I wrong? Cheers fella.

26. James Art on September 12, 2019 at 9:46 pm

USSR

27. Brads randomness on September 12, 2019 at 9:46 pm

Can I get a link for it please due to me getting a drone soon

28. mouldy madgit68 on September 12, 2019 at 9:48 pm

Has this law been passed yet? If so where do we register?

29. Dr Kanukie on September 12, 2019 at 9:48 pm

More people injured by bicycles – no regulation on those, or geese which do bring down aircraft

30. DOA HS Nyotengu on September 12, 2019 at 9:48 pm

Love this guy lol

31. Doug Christensen on September 12, 2019 at 9:48 pm

So far I think the rules in the US are pretty good. We have rules for hobby fliers and for professional fliers. The most difficult part is public information. But if we all fly safe, it should work.

32. Razey on September 12, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Entertaining video, I like it.

I never bought/flew a drone before and I was planning to get a DJI Mavic Pro 2 to capture some footage to learn video editing but after all these regulations, I’m starting to think whether it’s worth it or not.

33. old time engineer on September 12, 2019 at 9:51 pm

They must be coping the USA sorry for you folks

34. Andy Wright on September 12, 2019 at 9:51 pm

Absolutely the typically British governments knee-jerk reaction we are so used to. Proposed rules are a farce. It will just end up being another mini cash-cow for the Govt. been flying rc helicopters with various cameras for many years. Its only paranoia and hype that are fuelling this.

35. scullninio1983 on September 12, 2019 at 9:54 pm

Where and when do I register my drone? Don’t want the police knocking on my door, a month after I’ve flown.

36. Glen DeKoker on September 12, 2019 at 9:56 pm

Thanks UK now Canada’s Trudeau has passed drone laws you must do test and have licence to fly what a joke .

37. Steve Prince on September 12, 2019 at 9:57 pm

FFS! I was interested in what you had to say at the outset but having highlighted how you were short in time you then went on to waste it. Like most others viewing I don’t care about how you can contort that ugly face or mash your words, I was only interested in some facts.

38. rich762 on September 12, 2019 at 9:58 pm

ok just played with my ph3 standerd at the beach …i got enhanced fly zone apple 4 min even now my garden and field are all the same ..check the box to say yes the white box not athing just a white box ..update dji add before flying .. thnak for the information .. Rich in wales

39. william thomas on September 12, 2019 at 9:58 pm

We have the resources to produce the best quality of UK’s encrypted passports (chip)/ ID cards / driver’s licenses interested
    Contact via WhatsApp. +447451215981 ….. please that serious customers thank you .

40. Dave Day on September 12, 2019 at 10:01 pm

In other words, the ‘new’ drone laws will be the same as what model aircraft laws have always been. So what’s wrong with your BMFA number and a BMFA ‘B’ certificate? If only the ‘authorities’ would do their homework it would save everybody a load of trouble.

41. MINEING AWAY on September 12, 2019 at 10:02 pm

I live in the middle of the country can I fly mine in my garden without registration

42. rhett walker on September 12, 2019 at 10:02 pm

Where can I reg

43. TeamYankee2 on September 12, 2019 at 10:04 pm

Ok.. 400 feet. AGL… how do I measure AGL from my drone? I could be flying off a hill that’s 1,00 feet high and the drone can easily be over 400 feet AGL.

44. Dragons Eye Aerials on September 12, 2019 at 10:05 pm

I understand the importance of the laws and agree to an extent. However without the manpower the police already don’t have I fail to see how they will enforce such action, some drones go 4 miles from their operator, hard to catch an accomplice that far away. Unless they have their own drone to inter sept, God forbid. Fly safe

45. cars and cameras on September 12, 2019 at 10:05 pm

nice little cash cow for government this finns app make a mistake and get £60 fine or police raid on your house taking away your drone ,UK bureaucracy and they charge us for it in registration fees

46. Karl on September 12, 2019 at 10:09 pm

Let’s clear the peasants out of the airspace so Google and Amazon can do their drone deliveries. I’d rather just take the penalties I know I won’t get, because let’s face it, police are too busy to attend burglaries, I can’t see them doing stake outs in bushes on a sunday at 7am to catch me flying a toy in a deserted field… but the again, this is Britain.

47. 786philb on September 12, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Can they carry dinomight . Yours sincerely Guy Forkes.

48. Mojo on September 12, 2019 at 10:10 pm

i hope all the birds and large eagles register themselves as well—government fuckwits

49. Stephen Mason on September 12, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Makes a lot of sense, I will sign up and take the test, and feel safe!