How to Fly Your Drone Recreationally

Recreational Flyers: Fly Safe. Have Fun.

New FAA regulations and changes describe how, when, and where you can fly your drone for recreational purposes. You are considered a recreational flyer if you fly your drone for fun, and following these rules will keep you and your drone safe — as well as keep the airspace available to everyone.

In this webinar, #FAADroneGuy Kevin Morris explains how the FAA is incrementally rolling out changes and what they mean for you when you fly.

#Drone #Pilot #Flight #Airspace #FAA #UAS #AirTraffic

31 Comments

1. 33rd Latitude on September 12, 2019 at 8:13 pm

I will NOT get a license to do something I have been doing for 30 plus years.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

Thomas Jefferson

2. THE FPV YAWTHORITY on September 12, 2019 at 8:17 pm

177 sites now

3. Dave Castillo on September 12, 2019 at 8:18 pm

I don’t fly a drone, I fly fixed wing RC aircraft and RC gliders. I maintain visual contact and follow rules established by The Academy of Model Aeronautics. Please clarify for me, does the FAA define me as a drone operator even though I am not operating a drone? Lots of my fellow RC airplane pilots are strictly recreational and are resisting the registration process because they believe that the licences are intended to apply only to drones , and not fixed wing, remotely operated aircraft.

4. feliciano rodriguez on September 12, 2019 at 8:19 pm

200 feet

5. Discover Life Media on September 12, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Wonderful video

6. THE FPV YAWTHORITY on September 12, 2019 at 8:25 pm

How do I get locations approved for flight?
    We have over 175 courses plotted for safe flying.

7. 5zero7 RC on September 12, 2019 at 8:25 pm

I strongly encourage any and all recreational pilots to watch this video. It does an excellent job of explaining the current state of regulations in the US as well as answering a lot of the common questions pilots have.

12:48 – Q & A starts
    12:50 – Clarification on flying over people
    14:17 – Do you need a part 107 even if you are not being paid?
    16:02 – Where is class G airspace?
    16:40 – Did the FAA sell jurisdiction for airspace? Or can cities restrict the airspace above them?
    18:26 – There is no CBO in my town, can I still fly my drone?
    19:36 – What is the difference between recreational and part 107?
    21:59 – What if my local airport is not part of the LAANC system?
    21:54 – Can you fly recreational drones at night?
    23:15 – Does a certified drone pilot need to get permission to fly in class E airspace?
    24:10 – Where can I find the airspace map with the fixed flying sites marked?
    25:28 – Will you be required to take both the part 107 test and the recreational pilot test?
    27:07 – Are beaches off limits or will LAANC allow you to fly there?
    28:20 – Do I need to re-register my drone when my registration expires?
    29:10 – Can you clarify what you mean by "in the furtherance of a business?"

8. David Love on September 12, 2019 at 8:26 pm

So FAA regulations and fees and then throw all the individual city bans and regulations and permits in and there is no recreational drone flying any more. Way to go. Yet anyone can get a car and drive like a idiot endangering others and even drive straight up to the airport. How does this make sense?

9. FilmMakerChristian on September 12, 2019 at 8:34 pm

this whole thing is stupid and just another way for the government to make money

10. Mark Ennes on September 12, 2019 at 8:38 pm

Be advised, if you happen to be flying in the DC SFRA, it’s important to read FDC 6/2069, whether you are a recreational flyer or a 107 pilot.

11. Hansel R. on September 12, 2019 at 8:38 pm

Hi, where in your website are the FAQ made during this Webinar?

12. Jeff McCord on September 12, 2019 at 8:40 pm

Thank you FAA for all your hard work. As a recreational drone flyer, I am excited that I can finally use LAANC in the DFW/Dallas area. I am excited to follow all the rules and laws and I know so many other expert drone flyers are too.

13. tglass0000 on September 12, 2019 at 8:40 pm

Great webinar! Thanks for presenting this information in a manner that we can all understand!

14. Rick James on September 12, 2019 at 8:44 pm

Might as well get my 107 license with all these changes

15. feliciano rodriguez on September 12, 2019 at 8:45 pm

What about if you fly over people in 200′ in not putting the camera to them

16. CyberJay1226 on September 12, 2019 at 8:48 pm

Thanks, Kevin! You have a very, very hard job and I appreciate your patience and professionalism.

17. BadKarma 714 on September 12, 2019 at 8:49 pm

I registered my drone and put my number on the drone I don’t fly higher then tree tops and can always see my drone also where do I find study materials for safety test? What if your a YouTube channel and take video for your intro also what if you make short films for that same YouTube channel?

18. Richard on September 12, 2019 at 8:50 pm

Thank you so much for this information! As a brand new drone owner, I appreciate these UAS Webinars.

19. RiFF RaFF on September 12, 2019 at 8:50 pm

What bites my ass is that if you ‘Monetize’ your YouTube then guess what? You are no longer a ‘Recreational Flyer’. What a load of FAA b.s.!

20. Bugs Runner on September 12, 2019 at 8:51 pm

I dont understand how you can put a toy grade drone that dont fly over 30 ft before it drops out of the air to a commercial grade drone that will fly ten miles

21. UAS FLIGHT on September 12, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Thanks Kevin and team for explaining the changes, I’m Part 107 but appreciate the recreational rules too.

22. Tyler Hundtoft on September 12, 2019 at 8:51 pm

the people own the land and airspace. regulations are meant to address issues that adversely effect the general public. absolute misuse of power. and i will not comply. these regulations do adversely effect the general public. im having fun when im in the air. and in every hobby there is a level of simi professional. who are you to eliminate that area of business? im not registering anything. that will only put my drone on a blacklist if i dont go do a test. i fly at around 100-150 feet tops and usually lower than i flew a kite (60ft.). fuck the FAA and the jackasses that lobbied cause theyre losing money to private owners. that is what this is about.

23. Arthur Girod on September 12, 2019 at 8:53 pm

Will the laanc system give faa authorization to fly in the dc frz, or is it impossible to get an authorization in the dc frz?

24. Phil Davis on September 12, 2019 at 8:55 pm

Outstanding briefing, thank you very much.

25. Uptin Sinclaire on September 12, 2019 at 8:55 pm

Love to see them charge gun owners a fee to register each one of their guns. How many people have been killed by a drone ever? How many school children get killed every month by guns? How many people die from airplanes crashing into them every year? And what area are they focusing on? Anything to generate more tax revenue.

Instead of rubber stamping the Boeing 737 Crash 8s why don’t you do your job and focus on real safety issues? Instead of constantly finding ways to harass hobbyist who pose such a huge imaginary risk???

26. Tania C on September 12, 2019 at 9:01 pm

Thank you for your information, I am a brand new drone owner , love to take beautiful picture of sceneries and my family on vacation
    I registered on web site through a company that charged me 25 bucks for label and ID plus 5 bucks for FA number
    I do have FA number, but never get label and ID card . I contacted them but they never answered , i know i got a scam

So can i just make my own label , write and tape outside drone? Plz verify

27. mowaoutlaw on September 12, 2019 at 9:04 pm

Will local law enforcement be trained in regards to the approval process through LAANC for all flying purposes (recreational/107)?

28. pmshop 4 on September 12, 2019 at 9:07 pm

If FAA makes us take a test, That should qualify as Part 107 25:26 You are testing knowledge for both.

29. Steve Beatty on September 12, 2019 at 9:08 pm

Just say no to the FAA trying to regulate hobbyists..people who do stupid things like fly in obviously controlled airspace and endanger pilots etc..are already breaking laws that are enforceable and I don’t want some guy with a clip board showing up at my local park and asking if he can "See my papers"…..nope…enforce what’s already in place..fine them/jail them/take away their toys but leave the rest of us sensible fliers who have been doing this for decades alone please…..I mean sheesh…what next…R/C cars ?? They can carry payloads long distances you know….ooopss ..well maybe now the FAA can buddy up with Transportation and ensure they stick their unwanted noses in there too…

30. FilmMakerChristian on September 12, 2019 at 9:10 pm

i can see why there are laws but to make people pay for the test is ridiculous

31. Bruce Farmer on September 12, 2019 at 9:12 pm

Great webinar. Thanks! My two largest takeaways:
    LAANC open to recreational flyers 23 July.
    Hard limit of 400 feet AGL for recreational flyers. Want to fly from a 400 foot tall building? No can do.